What are the Dormitory Rooms Network Rules and Regulations of Use?
1. The use of network resources (network connection, user codes, IP-MAC address combination, campus /off-campus access etc.), which are allocated for the personal computers of the students in the dormitories, is subject to the rules and conditions set forth within "METU Computing and Networking Ethics" which is available at this address.
2. The state allocates and grants to the University financial resources in order to accomplish computer networking technology investments that will primarily aid the instructional, academic, research and administrative objectives of the University. The personal use of the network facilities by the users should in no way disrupt access priorities of those users that use the network for such instructional, academic, research and administrative objectives. In this respect, the users can find the guidelines for the appropriate use of network resources, the rules and regulations that the users must comply with and misconducts & prohibited behaviours as below:
- KaZaA, iMesh, eDonkey2000, Gnutella, Napster, Aimster, Madster, FastTrack, Audiogalaxy, MFTP, eMule, Overnet, NeoModus, Direct Connect, Acquisition, BearShare, Gnucleus , GTK-Gnutella, LimeWire, Mactella, Morpheus, Phex, Qtella, Shareaza, XoLoX, OpenNap, WinMX, DC++, BitTorrent etc..
a. Peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs, as well as violating copyright and licensing rules, use up an excessive amount of bandwidth that consequently hinders the use of network resources for purposes of priority. For this reason, it isstrictly forbidden to use the "peer-to-peer" file sharing programs. Such usage includes, but is not limited to, the following programs:
b. It is expressly forbidden to use wireless network resources for commercial purposes or for activities of private gain.
c. It is forbidden to use network resources for mass mailing, mail bombing, sending spam and users are not allowed to provide the means to the third parties to perform similar acts.
d. It is prohibited to keep possession of server computers in the dormitory that provide internet service (web hosting service, e-mail service etc.)
e. Users must not intentionally allow others to use University network resources from outside or, in other words, users must not pave the way for others to exploit privileges and act as if they are authorized to own the legitimate rights of the University users. (proxy, relay, IP sharer, NAT etc.)
f. It is forbidden to commit activities that threaten the security of the network (DoS attack, port-network scan etc.)
g. A unique IP number is assigned to each and every computer. Users are not permitted to change this IP number and/or the MAC (Media Access Control) address. IP settings of the computer should be configured according to the settings in the network device registration website (netregister.metu.edu.tr).
h. Networking facilities in the dormitories (network connection, user codes, IP-MAC address combination, local/off-campus access etc.), which are granted as a privilege to the students, will be used by every student in an appropriate, legal, ethical and considerate manner in accordance with the codes of behaviour and the regulations. It is the sole responsibility of all students that they are not endangering the safety of the resources by providing intentionally or unintentionally the means to the third parties to access to network resources. The student alone is answerable and accountable for every unwanted and unlawful consequences that may result from this act.
3. If the use of the computing and networking facilities is proven to be incompatible with the educational and scholarly missions of the University, and if the user has been proven to behave irresponsibly, inappropriately, unethically and illegally; in a manner displaying disruptive and inappropriate conduct that endanger the efficiency, integrity, safety and continuity of networking services; and if the user breaches the rules and regulations set forth in this document, one or more of the following disciplinary actionsmay be taken as a reasonable response to eliminate and remedy the threatening and abusive behaviour;
- local and/or off-campus network access privileges may be restricted,
- local and/or off-campus network access privileges may be suspended, modified or witheld,
- the user codes and user accounts on the central server systems may be terminated,
- the disciplinary mechanisms such as investigation or prosecution may be initiated,
- judicial proceedings may be started.
4. The student, who has been proven to have disregarded or violated the rules and regulations, will be forewarnedby the Directorate of Dormitory.
5. These rules and regulations become effective as soon as they are publicized. The University and Computer Center reserves the right to amend these Rules and Regulations at any time without prior notice. The updated version of the rules and regulations can be viewed in the following address:
6. You can contact hotline at metu.edu.tr for your questions.
Please click here to download the form.