Total Views: 2637
What should I do to protect my computer against viruses?
- Install a licensed antivirus program such as Symantec Norton, McAfee etc. and always keep it updated. An antivirus program that has not been updated is helpless against newly devised viruses.
- Keep your operating system updated. You can update Windows operating systems from this link.
- Instead of Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express, prefer to use Mozilla Thunderbird or any of the webmail services provided by METU-Mail since these are more reliable against viruses that seep through gaps in Microsoft Outlook ve Outlook Express.
- Unless necessary do not turn on file sharing. If it is a must, set password requirement on and select read-only file sharing.
- Unless needed, do not set up server type operating systems such as Microsoft Windows Server etc.
- Do not operate IIS (Internet Information Services) as a web server that have not been updated.
- Follow up Microsoft Security Center web site.
- Set your computer to be booted only from the hard disk. Always back up your crucial files/information. Do not run macros on the office programs that you do not know.
- For not to be affected of viruses which infect through Microsoft Office, use alternative Office programs such as OpenOffice.org.
- Do not run the executable files which have been sent by e-mail as attachment unless you verify it from the sender.
- Use anti-spyware to protect your computer against spyware which aims to collect your personal information.