METU VPN Service Use Policy
METU VPN Service Use Policy
Aim of METU VPN Service
The aim of the METU VPN service is, to enable our staff and students to access the network services which are only permitted to METU campus IP block (184.108.40.206/16), even if they are out of the campus.
Rules for Using METU VPN Service
1. The METU VPN Service, which is provided to METU staff and students, should be used in accordance with the METU Information Technology Resources Use Policy which is given on the link
2. The state allocates and grants to the University financial resources in order to accomplish computer networking technology investments that will primarily aid the instructional, academic, research and administrative objectives of the University. The personal use of the VPN service by the users should in no way disrupt access priorities of those users that use the network for such instructional, academic, research and administrative objectives.
3. In this respect, the users can find the guidelines for the appropriate use of VPN service; the rules and regulations that the users must comply with and misconducts & prohibited behaviors as follows
3.1. Using Peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs via VPN connection, is strictly forbidden. VPN users should disable such applications before connecting to VPN service and keep them off during their VPN usage.
3.2. It is forbidden to use VPN service for commercial purposes or for activities of private gain.
3.3. It is forbidden to use network resources for mass mailing, mail bombing, sending spam and users are not allowed to provide the means to the third parties to perform similar acts.
3.4. It is forbidden to make any activity that my risk the security of other users, such as DOS or port scan.
3.5. VPN users are responsible for any damage arising from the use of METU VPN service as well as, intentionally or non-intentionally allowing others to use this service.
4. Users who are found to violate these rules, can be applied one or more of the below penalties.
4.1. Restraining the use of VPN service,
4.2. Disabling the user code on the central systems or changing the password,
4.3. Starting investigation via University Authorities,
4.4. Starting legal investigation.
5. The student, who has been proven to have disregarded or violated the rules and regulations, will be forewarned via on-line written notice. Any user who has failed to receive the notice, can get information from METU IT Support Team (https://itsupport.metu.edu.tr/)
6. These rules and regulations become effective as soon as they are publicized. The University and Computer Center reserves the right to amend these Rules and Regulations at any time without prior notice. The updated version of the rules and regulations can be viewed in the same address. You can contact hotlinemetu.edu.tr for your questions.
1. All METU students and staff can use VPN service in accordance with METU Information Technology Resources Use Policy.
2. METU VPN service will be operational 7x24 except outages.
3. In case of failure;
3.1. The service failures, occurring within working hours will be fixed as soon as possible.
3.2. The service failures, occurring outside working hours will not be treated as urgent and will be fixed starting from next business day.
3.3. In case of hardware failure it is possible have long outages.
4. Long outages of VPN service will announced on METU web page.
5. VPN service will be provided with a maximum of 8 Mbps for each user.
6. Opened VPN sessions will end automatically after 24 hours. Users who want to use the service longer, should re-login within 24 hours.
1. All the risks arising from use of VPN service, are under responsibility of the user. METU Computer Center is not responsible for any risk or damage caused by the use of the service.
2. METU Computer Center is not responsible for any risk or damage caused by the interruption of VPN connection or outage of the service.
3. METU Computer Center restricts access to some network services and web pages via VPN without notice.
Last Updated: 28/03/2016 - 16:30