My Internet connection is very slow. What is the problem?
Our users are sharing the common Internet bandwidth of campus network. Connection speed of every user decreases as much as the number of the users sharing the network increases.
Therefore, as the number of complaints reported from our users increase, "Shaping Excessive Usage" policy started to be executed. In this context, Internet speed of the users who affect others network usage will be shaped due to the procedures and sanctions of the 5th article of METU Information Technology Resources Use Policy. This procedure will be valid only towards the off-campus traffic, i.e. all addresses but *.metu.edu.tr in general. There is no such limitation for within-campus connections.
First of all, please try connecting to the network with a different network patch cable. If this works, then your previous network patch cable is probably broken. Obtain a new network patch cable.
Please try connecting to the network from another network outlet. If this works, then there might be a problem with your original network outlet. In the dormitories, you can inform the reception desk and have your network outlet controlled.
If these procedures didn't resolve your problem, please visit https://faq.cc.metu.edu.tr/faq/how-can-i-find-out-about-source-my-networ....
In addition, in case of low internet speed, you can also check below statements;
- Low quailty of cable you use between your computer and the data socket on the wall (cable damage, use of unstandardized cable), use of high quailty and undeformed internet cable will solve the issue.
- Use of internet cable with damaged connector.
- Use of internet cable with damaged external protection.
- Folding of internet cable with sharp angles.
- Tying of internet cable
- Use of wrong modeled and outdated ethernet card driver
- The computer’s wired network port is not clean (dust and liquids cause to have problem)
- The computer’s wired network port is deformed (it can damaged or oxidize over time)
- Having applications running in the background that may affect internet traffic (should be examined and unnecessary ones should be closed)
- Having applications (Botnet etc.) that make download/upload operations in the background without the user’s knowledge (security scans should be done and the computer should be kept up to date).
- High rate of instant user density (high number of users will slow down the speed)